Tuesday, August 24, 2010

THE BIG DAY!

It is finally here! Today I will fly to Novia Scotia, Canada with my parents and meet my new home for the next 109 days! I feel as if I have been planning this trip forever and it seems unreal that it is finally here. I was shocked when I was able to fit all my luggage for a semester in one 50 lb bag, a carry-on, and a backpack. I never realized how difficult it is to pack for 4 months, especially when facing all different types of climates. Hopefully everything from here on out is "sooth sailing". Thanks again for all your love and support!

I have had a few questions on what I will be doing while abroad so I thought I would give a brief overview. While aboard the ship I will be taking 4 classes and also working. I will be taking a Global Studies class, in which all students are required to take, World Short Stories, Service Leadership, and a Disease and Healing Class. As far as my job I was fortunate enough to recieve a position with the student life office, where I will work 2 hours a day while at sea. As for when the ship docks at the various ports we are free to travel, with trips planned by Semester at Sea or independently.  Here are the ports I will be visiting:
  • Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Cadiz, Spain
  • Casablanca, Morocco
  • Takoradi, Ghana
  • Cape Town, South Africa
  • Port Louis, Mauritius
  • Chennai, India
  • Singapore
  • Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
  • Hong Kong / Shanghai, China
  • Yokohama / Kobe, Japan
  • Honolulu / Hilo, Hawaii, USA
  • San Diego, California, USA
Feel free to e-mail me at jtmattingly@semesteratsea.net, this is the only form of communication I will have. Love you all!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment